Friday, June 02, 2006

Off Topic - Fincher was going to direct what?

From ComingSoon.net's visit to the Pathfinder set directed by Marcus Nispel:

Q: So the Vikings will be speaking Icelandic, and the Indians and Karl?
Nispel: They speak English so we know what's going on. Again, in the original version, I didn't want any dialect, I don't even want Icelandic, it was just like very internal, and most likely by all means, weird. But what it did do is you set out and you write it completely visual. You can turn the sound off on this movie and know completely what is going on, and then later it's just like the cherry on the icing, we actually get to hear a little bit and not feel completely detached to the characters. But visually you can plug along and turn the sound off. That was actually one of the main things I wanted to do, which I couldn't have done with any other movie. I know David Fincher once, I have heard this story from several people, they offered him Air Force One, and he went into the meeting and said, "You know I'm different than other directors" and he said, "I want to do the whole movie without any dialogue" and the producers were telling the story laughing, like "How crazy is that" and I go "He's a genius" because you know there's no reason why Harrison Ford has to talk to the subtitled Russians, and I don't remember anything worthwhile knowing from what the Russians were saying. You know he's down there in the boat and they're up there and he strikes from there, "First Blood" again, it gets you back to that. When I saw that when I was a kid, I went like, "Well that's a great B-movie, but it's also true cinema to me."
"Get off my plane" - said thru facial expressions only.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Would have turned out a totally different film.
I wonder if anyone can get a confirmation of some sort. I did a couple of searches using Google, but I couldn't find any mention of it. If this is true, then this is like the tenth film that Fincher "almost" made (The Lookout, They Fought Alone, Rendevous with Rama, Lords of Dogtown...)

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you know that Gary Oldman married Fincher's ex-wife? They are divorced though, since she had an O.D. in 2001 or something.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google

Get Your Own! | View Slideshow

Powered by Blogger